Alumni Engagement: SLGGS Mentoring Scheme
The SLGGS Mentoring Scheme enables current students at SLGGS to make contact via email with former students of the school and to access independent and impartial information and advice about gap years, courses, colleges, universities and employment opportunities. It also enables former students to share news of their progress and to inspire and inform students about the possibilities open to them.
As former students, you are inspirational role models whose experiences of higher/further education, travelling and/or the labour market make an invaluable contribution to the school’s careers education programme.
We hope you will be happy to join the Mentoring Scheme and share your news, tips, stories and experiences with current students as you progress throughout your career.
Please complete and return the form below to Lifelong Learning Co-ordinator, Andrea Shieber if you would like to join the scheme
Alumni Engagement: Get Involved with Our Careers/Work-related Learning Programme!
As well as mentoring via email alumni can also engage with the school in the following ways:
- 'Meet the Mentors': lunchtime visits, usually between 1pm and 1.45pm, Monday - Thursday, to meet and chat with students interested in your course/career/travels
- Personal Statement Sessions: helping Year 12 students prepare their UCAS applications in July
- University Admissions Interviews: offering mock interview practice to Year 13 students in the late Autumn term
Alumni who are established in the workplace are also welcome to come back to participate in school careers/work-related learning events such as:
- Year 9 World of Work Day: facilitators run a couple of short, interactive workshops to introduce their profession to students. We aim to challenge students' perceptions of the world of work and to raise awareness of the range of skills and personal qualities demanded by employers in the work place. A morning of practical activities culminates in an afternoon ‘careers fair’ for which students prepare promotional display material
- Year 11 Interview Afternoons: students select a job from an online careers database in the Autumn term and prepare CVs and personal statements in PSHE and English lessons before being offered a 15/20 minute interview with an experienced interviewer on a special ‘Interview Afternoon’ in mid-January. We would particularly like to hear from former students with experience of recruitment/interviewing who would be willing to get involved
- Work Experience: if you are able to offer students in Years 11/12/13 the opportunity for a valuable work experience placement, please let us know
- Sixth Form Management Conference: students from SLGGS and other local schools form teams and compete in a two-day business challenge under the guidance of advisors with experience in business and marketing
More details about these events can be found on our Careers Department pages .
Please contact Lifelong Learning Co-ordinator, Andrea Shieber if you would like to get involved with any of our events or if you have any queries.
SLGGS Alumni on Facebook
We’d like to invite you to send a friend request to our Facebook account for alumni at www.facebook.com/SLGGSAlumni From this account we post news and updates about events in school and about ways in which you can continue to engage with students at SLGGS.