The Learning Base
Simon Langton Girls' Grammar aims to meet the special educational needs of all our students as defined in the SEN policy which can be found on the school website. The school provides for students who can access mainstream education and who may have SEN that is categorised as follows:
Cognitive and Learning Needs
• Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLd)
• Moderate Learning Difficulties (MLD)
Communication and Interactive Needs
• Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN)
• Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC)
Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs (SEMH)
Sensory and/or Physical Needs
• Hearing Impairment (HI)
• Visual Impairment (VI)
• Medical (Med)
• Physical (Phys)
Weekly SEN briefings with LSAs have ensured the department's vision is being developed and shared. There has been a focus on training for LSAs with sessions on Dyspraxia, Sensory Preferences, Social Stories, Dyslexia, Exam Training, strategies to support students with ASC; strategies to support students with Speech and Language needs. Training sessions by the SENCO have been delivered to new staff and school direct trainees within the school.
The SENCO meets with the Key Stage 3,4 and 5 teams, senior management team, pastoral mangers and academic leads every term to discuss identified students within the year groups and the interventions put in place. A rolling record is kept of the strategies offered.
- Alison Carnt is our SENCO (email@example.com) who has specialist expertise in Autism and Behaviour management, Miss Carnt has many years’ experience working with students with additional needs, she works with the local authority to support students with an EHCP.
- Trish McLellan our SEN administrator supports the Learning Base with administration duties.
- Sam Philiips is an LSA and our Learning Base Tutor Lead.
- We have further LSAs : Jess Wood, Clare Worthy and Paula Stones.
SEND Local Offer - please click HERE for details
Quality First Teaching - SEN Support booklet click HERE to view
SEND Hub - click HERE